By Pastor Aaron P. Harris
“How do we deal with insecure people in our faith walk?”
Lesson AIM: That we will understand God’s perspective on dealing with people’s character flaws, attitudes and understandings while affectively representing a risen savior who died for all of us and loves each of us.
Lesson Objective: To prepare individuals for the social challenges we will face while pursuing God’s purpose and destiny for our lives.
Lesson Scripture: St. Matthew 7:1 (ESV) “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.”
- How can our presence affect how people receive us?
- They may misinterpret our desires or goals.
- They may become envious of our potential.
- They may begin to plot against us to slow us down in an attempt to stop us.
Romans 8:38-39 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- How does our view of ourselves, abilities, confidence, tie into God’s plan for our lives?
- It may hinder our progress.
- It may hinder our blessings.
- It may cause someone else to suffer.
Exodus 3:11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?” He said, “But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain.”
- How can insecurity in a personal relationship affect your faith walk?
- It may cause a breakdown in communication.
- It may bring a breaking point of choosing between God’s will and that person’s desire.
- It may generate feelings of distrust.
- Group Question: We all have an area in our life that we may feel insecure about. Name the area and explain how if it were improved, it would enhance your life. Also state how it may negatively affect your life. These are some example areas to choose from: Financial, Personal, Educational, Spiritual, Social, Racial, Geographical, Physical, Mental, Emotional
“15 Points of understanding insecure people effectively.”
1. People who are insecure feel better about themselves by surrounding themselves with people who are less than them.
2. No matter how much personal success they have it will not satisfy the appetite of their insecurity. The more they are elevated and the more success they experience the more insecure they become.
3. Insecurity is a feeling of nervousness or being uneasy when a person perceives themself to be vulnerable in some sort of way. It is also the fear of people discovering their inadequacy.
4. An insecure person is unsuited for the anointing. They will not be willing to decrease when the power of God is trying to increase.
5. People who are in secure are most dangerous in positions of religious authority. They will mask their insecurity with a title. They believe that because they have a title they can wreak havoc in everyone else’s life.
6. A person may be insecure because they were raised in an environment that is chaotic and it kept them off-balance, guarded and constantly on edge.
7. Many people are insecure in the face of success because they had to use success as over-compensation. They do well in other areas because they are inadequate for themselves.
8. Some people are insecure because they have always felt over-shadowed and over-looked by people who are close to them. So in their own minds they have built a spirit of competition with people who are not even competing with them. They will begin running a race when no one else has even heard the gun! They will show signs of this spirit by over talking people, so there voice is always heard and their presence is always felt. In an environment of anyone else getting a glimmer of attention they cannot handle it.
9. Insecure people will re-navigate every conversation so that they will become the focal point. They will do whatever is necessary to be seen and thought to have the right answers.
10. Insecure people can be mistaken as being spiritual people. They will attempt to cover their insecurity by proclaiming to live a spotless life and acting extremely spiritual will give them an opportunity to get up in front of people. This gives them an opportunity to feed there deep seeded need for attention.
11. They will break out in unwarranted fits of emotion that will cause people to run to them, giving them water and tissue, fanning them, rubbing their back while asking them what’s wrong. They will always say, nothing’s wrong I am okay, due to the fact that they really have no active situation in their lives to substantiate this type of behavior. They will blank out and say nothing due to the fact that they have no answer as to what their insecurity is. We in-turn feed into this by constantly trying to get an answer out of them , because we care to believe that they are not crazy or in need of medication but in fact they are in need of deliverance. People who are insecure in the house of God divert the attention away from God temporarily for selfish reasons, and create a commotion that makes no sense naturally but has an affect spiritually.
12. The bible tells us in 1 Corinthians 14:33 that “God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.” The insecure spirit that disrupts the flow of the spirit and inadvertently prevents people from receiving miracles, healing, breakthrough and deliverance is a demonic force. This spirit is identified biblically when Lucifer the angel desired to have the praises of heaven focused on him rather than God. Anytime an individual desires more praise for themselves than what we give to God that is an insecure spirit driven by a demonic force. When we see this spirit in operation it is a direct mimicking of the spirit that caused a war in heaven.
13. The bible gives examples of insecure people. In the book of Genesis, Cain killed his brother Abel because he could not handle dealing with insecurity. When people don’t know how to handle your gift they will attempt to kill off your potential. They will try to sabotage or undermine your ideas, your plans or even your thoughts because they feel like they can kill you, but they don’t understand that your anointing is connected to resilience and if they kill that idea, watch what God will do and give you a greater one. The idea they tried to kill will not be able to be compared to the new thing God will do, but it will manifest much greater. If they speak failure in one area God gives success somewhere else.
14. In the book of Samuel, Saul was insecure about his son in law David, and he tried to kill him. In the book of Esther Haman tried to kill Mordecai but it didn’t work. In the book of Luke Judas was insecure about Jesus. Judas had all the money and so we need to see that some individual’s insecurity is that they feel they should be passed you because they have more money than you. So we can see that even when people have money they can be insecure. They can’t understand how you are making it and how you can look as good as they do and oftentimes be content with less. This is due to the fact that you have a greater sense of yourself. The anointing on your life gives you a level of confidence that goes far beyond people’s misunderstood picture of you. When they walk into a room with all they have going for them, they don’t understand why no one notices them but everybody notices you. They have to work much harder and parade around interrupting conversations and ultimately surrounding themselves around people who have much less than them. They don’t understand how you can be so well liked without the resources they have to draw people, but your praise and worship to God gives you favor in every area of your life. Ten minutes of God’s favor over your life can yield a greater return than 100 years of work on a job. God can connect you with the right people at the right time, have you speak a word of encouragement to someone that needs to feel your sincerity and use that opportunity to change your life. Cinderella proved to us that it does not matter if no one asked you to dance the whole night. She came to the ball with the expectation that before the night is over I will dance with the king. When you have struggled and sacrificed, lost everything, cried and had to live in the shadows of people who held you back in an attempt to incarcerate your potential. You have to do exactly what she did and hang on to your dream, watch God to bless you with everything you need, and wait for him to open up the door to what you have been waiting for.
15. People must realize that you have a commodity that they will never be able to buy called “presence” the bible tells us in Psalms 16:11 “in the presence of God there is fullness of joy.” The presence of God in our lives makes the total difference. The fact that we have been through Hell and back and we still trust him sets us apart. They can dress like you, talk like you, change their major and minor even their hairdresser. Nothing can take the place of having a true relationship with God. When we are able to articulate the goodness of God to others through our faith walk and not our faith talk, we become living epistles of Christ.